Friday, February 13, 2009

Thoughts

I've been thinking about my trading lately and what to change so I could have more reasonable trading sessions. First of all I started to use R system so it would be best to be aware where I stand with it cumulative for the month. Problem each day is that I start from the zero and then I'm reluctant to take the loss. I think that I should start from cumulative R for that month so a loss will lover it slightly but will not put me in negative territory. This is all mind tweaking thing, nothing new. Also about that averaging habit of mine. I should look more carefully in each trade where is the point of invalidation of my view and where is the point that I will cut my loss. If it's not 20 as I usually put for R I should have smaller size for start of that trade. There is nothing wrong to average a losing trade if I think that my overall idea is still correct or that I have spike against me that I can use to make bigger position if I still believe in it. I have to commit that I will exit my losing trade at 1R, it's variable, it can be 1.2, 1.3 R no problem, but not letting it run against me just because I don't want to have a loss.
For example I have a stop of 30 pips on a short trade and it goes against me 22 pips and now I believe that it will go down. I average with the same size trade. That doesn't mean that I will let that second trade go against me also 30 pips because it would be -50 from my original entry and for my style I'm then most definitely wrong. But if it goes against me I got to look to exit first trade around 1R or 30 pips. Stop taking those two trades as one. Exit first and then decide will I exit second at the same place or what. Second is then at -10 pips let's say and if I don't believe it is going my way exit it also and I lose around 1.3R on those two averaging trades together. That is acceptable. If I'm right and I'm right enough times that I'm coming back to averaging again and again I have now two positions that can give me fast b/e or 1R or maybe more.

With this tweaks if they will work for me I wouldn't have a problem of taking a loss because I don't look at day session any more and is it positive or negative but whole month. Second I will be reasonable with averaging when I do it. If you can't win against an enemy make him your friend. That way I would avoid mindless risks and stressful emotions. Until now with this averaging thing I just didn't have exit strategy except to average down until it goes back enough which is as stupid as it gets.

3 comments:

StockHunter said...

Now your starting to sound better! Even though I don't like averaging, when you put it together in a system it's much better. It was when you were averaging just because it wasn't going your way is when it wasn't a good thing.

FX said...

Honestly I would like that 99% of my trades are without averaging also, but if I got that flaw, let's minimize it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a solid idea to me!